Harvey Dwight, Ian Gardner, Andrew Griffiths, Grahame Jones, Caroline Nix (maps), Ian Hamilton Finlay (with Nicholas Sloan), John Tetley, and the two historical reproductions: Sir Godfrey Kneller, portrait of John Aislabie, c.1720 (Title page); Anthony Walker, ‘At Studley’, detail, engraving, 1758 (Cover)
- ~ Patrick Eyres. Preface, and Notes to maps of Studley, Hackfall and Kirkby.
- ~ Edward Lucie-Smith. Introduction.
- ~ John Walker. Studley Royal, 1716-81 (the Aislabies’ careers, tastes and landscape design).
- ~ Jim Hingston. The Trees in John Aislabie’s Garden (planting strategies at Studley before and after acquisition by the Aislabies).
- ~ Patrick Eyres. Nike Hercules, the ‘Hedgehog’ Garden (a prose-poem as New Arcadian manifesto, in response to Georgian political gardening).
- ~ Ian Hamilton Finlay (with Nicholas Sloan). The Monteviot Proposal, 1979. The complete version of this seminal work, which has proved to be a nursery of ideas for the poet’s subsequent landscape proposals.